Wednesday, 24 February 2010

Terminally ill at ease

... am I with certain terms used in polite society which if anything are the epitome of insincerity in most of the instances they are used. I have been thinking about these for some time now, having to fend them off every now and then and decided to make my thoughts public. While I may still be subjected to them and at times be even forced to supply some of these in my discourse, that doesn’t mean I can’t air my contrary views about the same. I am anything if not a vociferously honest (at most times) individual (I don’t know why I wrote this right now, but it never hurts to let others know).

Coming back to the matter at hand…

Top on my list of Terms i never could get to terms with is "dear friend" May hap because the first time I heard it, it was from the mouth of one of the ladies who lunches and plays boss woman in her spare time. Or maybe it is a sentiment I could honestly can’t grasp (even though i have been guilty of using it in life and for the life of me I could not understand why... but I am known to do things I am ill at ease with just for kicks). If some one is your dear friend, he/she would know it. And why would the addressee who is being subjected to the statement care... Is it to rub in the person's face, "ooo I have a dear friend right here, right now and you don't!" or is it to tell the dear party concerned feel obliged (in case they didn't know of they dear status) all in all I could never fathom the meaning and the reason behind these two words put together.

A close second is " I am so happy for you" I have heard this a time once too many, and been forced to spout it because I was expected to, but I have to confess I said it without really understanding the reason why. Does the addresser mean to say that it's great this "event" is happening to the addressee but were I, the addresser, caught in the situation, I would be shooting myself through my mouth, right about now? It is sarcasm at best and should not pretend to be any thing else. If one is truly happy for someone, it would show and if it is over the phone, a Congratulations and subsequent exuberance would suffice!

As would I be steering clear of False bravado, which a former editor of a newspaper I worked with resorted to whence writing a report. Enough said.

Speaking of bosses and their love for constructive criticism. It is the ultimate urban legend in the office space as far as I am concerned. It is criticism all the way and nothing’s constructive about it… Why slather it with butter when it is still a bloody burnt toast. We are all adults here (except for those hiding behind words like constructive criticism) and we can roll with the punches because at the end of the day we know you (the boss or people in such-like position) can’t stand us the recipient of constructive criticism (the feeling is reciprocal btw) and all the bile is your way of expressing your dislike. Because if you were really bothered about improving the output, you would find a better way to ensure it.

And oh yes, the ‘yours sincerely’ after the end of most official mails is any thing but that. Correspondence in question (in my case) is the one I send out almost everyday in terms of covering letters. I find it quite absurd to feel any sincerity towards folks I will most likely never see or those who reject my application. If anything I would want to hurl the choicest of abuses at them for very obvious reasons.

Last but not the least is the awkwardness of wishing some one “a comfortable flight/journey”. Really… depending on which way fate/destiny fancies rolling, they will have or not have one irrespective of your sentiment and arrogance to believe that your confidence will translate into a happy transit. And let’s say they don’t, believe me the traveller will be sending some very unsavoury thoughts your way. I too have used this phrase many a times, because I haven’t been able to devise a better send off… Maybe next time I will stick to the simple “bbye” and keep the happy journey bit in my head!

And having vented my ire for the day, I wish you a happy weekend or what ever is left of it. Take care…

Oh wait,,, that’s another one! Obviosuly one WILL take care, right… no one will willingly fling themselves off the cliff, if they can help it and are not in need to psychiatric attention! From now on if those I love (and like) don’t hear a take care from me, please know that I trust you to be wise enough to do that without me telling you to do so!

Toodles for now! Much love!

5 comments:

Mum's the Word said...

Hey, It's Ok to wish someone well. Its just our small ways of wishing for the good or well-being of others. If not for this, we wud be living in a heartless society... no doubt society is heading there but it doesn't have to be so.... Lots of Love (matter of wishing you love), Lorraine :)muuuuaaahhhh!

March Hare said...

heh heh! I am in 100% agreement here Lo! I am just not happy with some terms we use... and unfortunately these that I have listed, are sometimes insincere and sometimes silly! that's my gripe, that's all! There's should be lots of love around! Not asking for too much, am i now! :D

Latin Sardar said...

hmm... I guess you were writing this the last time around you told me to "take care" :P
"Have a nice day"... :D:D

March Hare said...

@LS: And you get well soon! this is with all sincerity!

Shweta said...

Well said! Lots of insincerity going on and I feel that's been on the increase since Social networking! Working on a post on it, but not sure I'll be able to deal with all the 'unfriending' I'll have to face after!;)
Write on :D
Cheers!