Friday, 11 December 2009

Ho ho ho!

Dear all,

Yesterday I learnt some very valuable and interesting lessons.

  • Never get married (because sex isn't as great as it is made out to be!)
  • Yet marriage is the best thing that can happen to you.. if you find the right partner.
  • At 70 you may still be looking for love because the one you found at 30 didn't last!
  • But no matter how much it hurt the last time, we still look for it!
  • Love songs still make you happy and dance
  • 12 days of christmas
  • That i still can't sing but for once did not care
  • Singing is one of the best pick me ups
  • You can enjoy your wine at 105 and joke about it! oh yes write a book about your life while you are at it!

How I got around to bagging these nuggets of gold? Let me start at the very beginning.

Yesterday, after debating if it was OK to skip the design class since I had only half an hour to get to it and I was still comfortably ensconced in the duvet and it was brighter in my head, eyes shut than out in the bleak weather. But for once, I overcame my lazy demeanour and in made it to class in record time... I was even the first one to arrive, who would have thunk!

After attending an interesting 3-hour session, I legged it to cover a Christmas Party. The last one I attended was when I was about 7 or 8, and the memory I held was of a shy me dressed in a red frock receiving a small little present from a badly done up Santa at the Officers Mess in Bareilly. Even while resisting the urge to bolt asap at the time I couldn't help feeling disappointed at the size of the gift! Hee hee... gosh! it must have been really small because I can't for the life of me remember what it was, except that it was really small! But what I do remember apart from the diminutiveness of the package is that they served the best fish fingers at the Mess. Sigh... the good old days.

But as usual I digress!

Back to the party organised at Juniper house for the senior members of the community. At an average age of 80, this bunch may look like an unlikely choice to attend a Christmas party with. But never denounce it before trying it out. And I am glad I went. Upon arrival at I was greeted by a small hall filled with wrinkled faces lighting up at the sight of a young couple gyrating to some catchy Bollywood tune! There was more to follow and lots for me to cover.

So there I went clicking away with the trusty D40, capturing some heart warming and at times poignant moments; a giggly twosome here, or a gaggly bunch there, a 78-year-old helping a 90 year old with her coat, an elderly gentleman savouring the mince pie, sipping on a perry, smiling contently like a ten year old. And while I clicked them and shared a cup of tea, a joke, a laugh, a request, sang along with others as Sue (a very very good singer and crowd puller) egged us on during her rendition of some amazing songs, I gained the abovementioned precious jewels of wisdom from my new friends at Juniper house.

And oh, here are a few more:

  • There's still a lot of good around the world
  • You can be surrounded by a bunch of old people and realise how much life can offer, even the bad things are not bad enough to stop you from smiling when you can see the goodness in most.
  • And that there are people like Rads and Liz who care enough to make life more comfortable and happy for a set of people who the world seems to forget on most days.

Just as I enjoyed a happy day, I wish all of these wonderful people I met yesterday have a very merry and happy Christmas and of course as do all who have touched my life in one way or another!

Lots of love,

Prerna

16 comments:

Shwetz said...

Loved the post!
Cheers! :)

Haddock said...

That was a good one.
While on the subject read "Love is........" in my post

March Hare said...

Thank you both!
@Haddock: will do so with pleasure!

Latin Sardar said...

B-E-A-utiful!!
Loved it. Guess it is turning into a better evening...

March Hare said...

Thank ye LS! Glad u liked it!

Jasmeet said...

hmmmm i love reading your blogs and i miss the days in Bareilly..

March Hare said...

Thanks sweetie! Those were some good days!

Spardha Malik said...

how heart-warming!!
keep it up prema.

March Hare said...

Thanks Spardha! Long time no see!

P.S: It's PreRna... I know i know, the font makes it look otherwise. Tho' I know Prerna by another name would be just as mad! :D

Charu said...

heart warming post :)

(wish i get to hv a warm xmas too
ths yr)

merry xmas dear !!

Sorcerer said...

stumbled across your blog

cool writeup..
will go through the rest of your blog

March Hare said...

Thanks CD!
You are most welcome, Sorcerer! Thank you for your comment!

saina said...

One of the best i have read :) merry xmas babe . this put a smile on my face

March Hare said...

@Sai: Thanks babe! and a Merry X'mas to you too!

Groovy said...

What's up with you P?? Every time I barely start thinking on the lines of getting married.. you come with "sex isn't as gr8 as it is made out to be" huh?
;-) gr8 post. Loved it.

March Hare said...

heh heh! AG it's not me, it's the people who say! I am just conveying the thoughts! Oh yeah what I CAN add is that shaadi being a laddo idiom is a 100% correct!