Thursday, 16 July 2009

Auld Lang Syne

Never thought I would get caught up in the wave of nostalgia that is sweeping across the class of 2004 from my post graduation course in Manipal.

...the thrill of leaving home for the first time- heady with excitement but shit scared deep down, masked well by a brave smile; the first nervous smile shot to a fellow sufferer at the hands of the seniors; the first night alone, away from home; the first cup of tea brought by a friendly room-mate; the mad rush toward college not to miss the first class; the excited chatter in the classroom towards the end of a lecture; the quick tea and smoke break after the end of the first lecture for some; the Manipal monsoon, the pitter-patter of rain on the tiled roof dulling the drone of the lecturer's, the sweet anticipation of whether we'll get to savour the spicy dal or tangy sambar with the sana/idli at press carts, spending an idle hour over chai and snacks at press cart uncle's or Suresh bhai's taking in the sweet aroma of someone else's cigarette; the endless hours of mirth intermitted with a brief slog over an assignment, in the comp lab; whiling away your time day dreaming in the library; rushing for dinner to the mess only to find yourself wading through the oily mess; wishing the cook would learn to well..cook, ending up in the middle of the night at press carts to eat something palatable to compensate for the awful fare earlier in the evening.

Scooter rides across the lush verdant into Udupi, to enjoy a spot of dosa and brilliant coffee at Kediyoor , or the noisy busy ride from Tiger circle to the city bus stop to lay your hands on some trashy novels or comics (the proprietor's mom would insist on talking to me in Konkani for some reason!), the rush to submit assignments at the last minute on the last day of submission, the three monthly march to the warden's office to protest against moving us out of our cushy staff quarters, a privilege we girls hung on to fiercely because it afforded a total disregard for deadlines of any sort, you came and went as you liked! Kaup, Marvanthe, Kody - we spent some mad, some serene times there...once with the entire class in the middle of the night...(for those totally at sea these were beautiful beaches, in and around Manipal ).

And then there were the weekends. In fact it was here I figured out why weekends are so sacred to some! DT- the place where I rid myself of my tee-totaller ways, where I sat philosophising and analysing the bane of the world, where I found love for the first time; Sphinx- where I picked up my dancing shoes; and the night rides into Parkala. This was the place where I went out for my first and final Valentine's Day date, where I learnt the true value of friendship, the meaning of being lonely, the horror of failing and the triumph of succeeding; my education in life began here...

This was seven years ago...life's changed so much ever since… but there's some part of me that's still stuck in time long gone, the place I retreat to when the going gets tough, a time when hope reigned supreme and even the bad days were good and the good times great.

6 comments:

Latin Sardar said...

Great!! What happened to all the chicken curry you were cooking?
Great fun to reminisce the old days, nahin...

March Hare said...

Chicken Curry??? Yeh kahan se aa gaya? I am talking abt old times and my chicken curry is quite fresh!

Lorraine said...

gosh am tempted to mail this to our classmates.... may I.

relentlesslyrestless said...

Sooo well-writeen, Perz!!! You truly have a way with words. Reminded me of lots of things... Who was the friendly roomie who made you the chai?

Pallavi said...

:)

payalbanerjee said...

waaah!!!! I wanna go back i really really do...and what makes me miserable is...im beginning to forget the names of some joints...like the other day i just couldnt remember the name Big Daddy .. :((